Sunday, July 19, 2009

Huron Peak & Area

"THE 3 APOSTLES"
July 10, 2009
The Saturday Night Live Climb- Huron Peak


That name has meaning in the mountain climbing world. It means a party attempts to summit a 14’er and doesn’t make it. The name of the group that does the above mentioned group that plays on that show are called “The Not Quite Ready For Prime Time Players.” That would have described me and possibly the rest of the group, Tony & Josh on July 10th. We were on a men’s retreat for my church and we had acclimated for a night at 10,700’ at our camp a short distance away. We were located 2 miles west of the ghost town of Winfield.

Unfortunately it was enough time for me. Having not made a 14’er this year yet I shot for a target too big. Usually I warm up with Chief Mountain, a nice almost 12’er and possibly a 13’er to break in the body for altitude. When I wake up in the morning before a 14’er ascent I have a sense right away if I am up to it that day and knew I wasn’t. My other 2 partners had never summitted a 14’er so it was a good chance for them.

Huron Peak, located in the middle of the Collegiate Peaks area which contains a large cluster of 14’ers, is not the hardest nor easiest of the 14’ers in the state but it is certainly moderate. Even the easiest 14’er is not really easy. At 13,500’ you always take 5 steps and stop to catch wind. I had done Huron from the east trailhead in 2007. If nothing else it was a nice warm up for an ascent later on. Little did I know but I had picked up someone’s cold as well and had just not quite felt the symptoms. That came the night after the attempt with a 102 fever. So I am sure that played a factor as well. Making the summit is a plus but it is having fun that counts and we certainly did.

As one of my climbing partners said later that day: “I now have a new respect for altitude!” The picture set was awesome and can be found on our picture link at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/howethru

There are some other pictures of the other scenic areas tucked back where we were there as well.


No comments: